The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 has many interesting features to boast about. However the one feature that makes the phablet stand out among its competitor is the Infrared sensor. In fact it is the only phablet in its segment that offers such an hardware.
Once upon a time, Infrared sensors were a very popular feature among smartphones and it was the only option apart from bluetooth to send and receive files between two phones. However the low transfers speed took a toll on the feature and it was discontinued very soon. Infrared sensors are commonly used in remote controllers to control electrical appliances such as Televisions and air conditioners. In Spite of having infrared sensors, mobile manufacturers always limited the use of the hardware to only transfer files.
But very soon, the app market was flooded by third party app that enabled users to use their phones as a remote control for any equipment that supported infrared sensors. Well this was happening 5 to 10 years down the lane and today infrared sensors on phones are a rare thing to come by.
But Samsung changed everything by introducing infrared sensors on its flagship device, the Galaxy Note 4. This time around the infrared sensors were not intended to transfer data, instead they were meant to control electrical appliances such as televisions and air conditioners.
If you are the owner of a Samsung Galaxy Note 4, here’s how you can use the Note 4 as a remote control for electrical appliances such as Televisions, DVD players, Set top boxes, Air conditioners and much more.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comes with a built in app called as Peel Smart Remote. Using the help of this app, you can control electrical appliances such as the ones listed below.
- Set-top Box
- DVD Player
- Blu-ray Player
- AV Receiver
- Streaming Media Player
- Air Conditioner
Here’s how you can use the Peel Smart Remote app on your Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to control any of the above electrical appliances.
How to Use the Note 4 as Remote Control for TV, AC and other Appliances
Note: Connect your Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to the Internet. ( Only required for the first time when setting up )
- Step 1: Open the Peel Smart Remote app on your Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and tap on Start.
- Step 2: Select your Country, Region and City.
- Step 3: Select your TV Service Provider.
If your TV service provider is not listed select “ I cant find my TV Service Provider “ and then select “ Skip and Continue Remote Setup “.
- Step 4: Select the type of Device you want to control. ( I am selecting TV )
- Step 5: Select your TV brand and tap on Next.
- Step 6: Point your phone at your TV and tap on the Power On / Off button that appears on your phone.
- Step 7: If the button works then tap on the YES to save the settings. If it doesn’t work, tap on NO and keep trying out the next button setting.
Once you’ve found the remote settings that work for your TV or other electrical appliances, just tap on YES to save and use them.
- Step 8: You can then proceed to set up the remote control for other electrical appliances or just tap on DONE to start using your Note 4 as a remote control for the device you’ve currently configured.
Another great thing about the Peel Smart Remote app is, it lets you access the remote from your phone’s lock screen too. So this makes it very convenient to use your Note 4 as a remote control without the need to unlock and open the app every time you want to use it.